Saturday, November 25, 2017

Laws of Torah Study 4:2

The Shulchan Aruch Harav says that Torah study is a commandment even when not leading to action. And it's impossible to fulfill other mitzvos without Torah. (See chap. 5 and 37 of Tanya for the advantages of study). Therefore study takes precedence unless a mitzvah cannot be done by someone else. Study is the greater mitzvah. However, it is equal to all the others only because study leads to doing them.

The suggestion here I believe is that when you do a mitzvah the study is behind it. Therefore the study leads to its own mitzvah plus the one it lead to. Therefore it will be equal to all the others because in each one there is study. It's simple math. I study 10 mitzvahs. Then I perform 10 mitzvahs. In each one of these sits the 10 acts of study. My study yielded 10 mitzvahs of study and 10 mitzvahs of action. So my study is equal to all of my action.


No comments: