Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Rav on Maintaining Your Individuality

I was very young when I came to America and various people gave me advice how to be an effective Rabbi and teacher by following the example of this or that successful person. They meant well of course but had I followed their advice, I would not be what I am today. Of course I am nothing, but the little that I am is because I refused to change my persona. God has given each of us a unique identity, and to the extent that we are faithful to it we will be fulfilled. Why then do we see so many unsuccessful and frustrated Jews despite God’s promise that we will each be richly rewarded? It is because in developing themselves they did not remain faithful to their roots, to their true selves. My father, who was my real teacher, taught me this lesson. When I was young and we would learn Gemara together, I would repeat his words exactly, only to have him tell me “if you simply repeat what I said you will never be a lamdan – you have to explain it in your own words.” In other words, a person is true to himself when he is faithful to the Torah and tradition, and faithfully upholds their fundamental principles, albeit in ways that reflect his unique persona.

Joseph Soloveitchik

Transcribed by R' Basil Herring in TorahMusings.org  http://torahmusings.com/2013/08/the-rav-on-remaining-true-to-ourselves/

No comments: