Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fairy Tales

One really irritating thing about kiruv people is the way many make being frum into a fairy tale. I often found myself over the years regressing emotionally just to adapt to it. Rabbi Soloveitchik criticizes this sort of thing, says religion doesn’t solve life’s problems but deepens them. I don’t go for this Stepford wives happy camp approach to Judaism. In many ways, my life was much more satisfying even in spiritual ways before I was frum. Nevertheless, this is the right way to be, in my view, so I do it, and take the bad with the good. Being a BT has been a difficult ordeal. One of the hardest parts is the emotional repression which is just everywhere. But hopefully one breaks through that and allows himself to be honest about life, even frum life. It gets much more enjoyable after that.

No comments: