Thursday, November 16, 2023

more on nice and not nice celebrities

 Again, what came into my box. The Jew without mitzvos is not nice and the gentile is nice.


Don Rickles was so rude ! I was a teen and went to a fancy restaurant in Long Island with my rich aunt and uncle. He was at the table next to us. He treated the server like shit !!! He was so rude and disrespectful that I got a stomachache from watching and listening to him. He belittled and berated her so badly and she was so kind. He sent his dinner back about five or six times , left without tipping. He was absolutely disgraceful! He was alone too… Gee I wonder why?!?!Nicest was Al Pacino ! He was in peds ER with one of his twins. Asked me if there was something he could do for me. I said yes. Please visit my patient in room 15. She’s was a teen , terminal cancer ! Her brother was with her , parents were out of the country. He immediately came with me and spent about an hour chatting with them. Gave them movie tickets and his cell numberđź’™


Joni Mitchell, 1967. Her songs had been recorded by Tom Paxton, Buffy Ste Marie, Dave Van Ronk. Judy Collins had a huge hit with Both Sides Now. Joni’s first album had been produced by Dave Crosby and was great. So Joni was right up there. But she still had some contractual commitments to the smaller clubs where she started out. Like The Riverboat, in Toronto. Held maybe 100 people. Yours truly goes to see her - for the umpteenth time - and afterwards wangles his way backstage to ask Joni if she can give him guitar lessons.

In her dressing room was her manager, there was Bernie, who owned The Riverboat, a guy who looked like a lawyer, and a couple of reporters from the local papers. Everyone’s going “Joni!” “Joni!” “Joni!” She puts up her hand and says, “Wait. I need to show Max a couple of things.”

I’m a nobody, a 16 year old schmo who’s politely pushy, and she told all the movers and shakers to wait while she explained a couple of things. Can you spell ‘gracious’? ‘Kind’? ‘Patient’? She was magnificent.

For the musicians reading this, she checked that I knew the open G and open D tunings and could play the basic chords. She then showed me - she wrote it out on a napkin which of course I lost - a 2-note descending line against various pedals. She also said, “There are no rules. If you like it, it’s good.”


No comments: