Thursday, December 7, 2023

weirdos

 

Yesterday, I attended a shiur. One problem with being stuck in a problematic community, is that you are surrounded by all that stuff and can falter at times. I thought, maybe I'll like it. People around here seem to all love it. Let's try again. It was to start after 7:30 Shacharis. 9:30 comes and they were still davening! 2 hours on chol moed they had these poor guys marching around with their fruit. So finally it begins. Guy starts without introducing topic. He seemed to be mid thought. I couldn't figure out the topic. Also couldn't figure out the language. Supposed to be English. Sounded like Hebrew at times Yiddish at times. Then came an English verb and I realized it was sort of English but full of l'choyrahs and mistamas and misyachas and all that. Crazy mishmash of languages. And all the while he is rocking back and forth like a mental patient. Who talks like the in front of a crowd. After a few minutes, I wasn't even listening. I was just transfixed by his rocking. And I said to myself, whether this religion is true or not I won't even say. But the culture is nuts. It's just not normal.

No comments: