Sunday, January 28, 2024

Rav Schachter Q&A With Derech 2023 - YouTube

 Rav Schachter Q&A With Derech 2023 - YouTube


14:00-14:34

One of the many considerations in choosing a profession is how much time will you have to learn. Another important consideration is will you have sipuk hanefesh in what you’re doing. Let’s say, I’ll be miserable in my job, but I’ll have more time to learn. But I’m going to be miserable because I’m not happy with that kind of work. Then I’m gonna be in a miserable mood from my job then I’m not going to happy when I learn. So the learning is not going to be too successful.”[1] 



[1] Rabbi Hershel Schacter, “Rav Schachter Q&A With Derech 2023,” Ohr Somayach channel, youtube.com



You'll note that he is speaking to Modern Orthodox kids at Ohr Somayach, not BTs because the large kiruv schools are now mostly populated with FFBs. 


He also says here that the chiyuv in learning is just a minute in the morning and at night. 

No comments: