Monday, November 21, 2022

Psalm 119

The longest Psalm in the Bible is Psalm 119. It is 176 verses in length because of its poetic structure as an acrostic of every letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The length is appropriate for this Psalm’s theme of devotion to God and His Word. It is also the longest chapter in the Bible.

Psalm 119 is in an alphabet acrostic. There are 22 stanzas or paragraphs in this Psalm, one for each of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet in order. Each of the stanzas has 8 verses which also begin with the same letter. That makes 22×8 = exactly 176 verses. (Source)

And what is the subject matter of this longest chapter of the entire Bible? Mitzvos!

The word "commandments" appears 22 times.

The word "statutes" appears 22 times.

The word "precepts" appears 21 times.

The word "testimonies" appears 22 times.

At least 87 times it mentions the commandments.

The word "Torah" appears 25 times but it is clearly in the broader context of teaching us to keep the mitzvos. They go together. 

I have heard that some people view this chapter as a song about Torah study. You have to be crazy to think that's the central theme of this chapter. The theme is doing mitzvos. 

The first ten lines are about keeping the commandments:

1Praiseworthy are those whose way is perfect, who walk with the law of the Lord.
2Praiseworthy are those who keep His testimonies; who seek Him wholeheartedly.
3Not only have they committed no injustice, they walked in His ways.
4You commanded Your precepts, to keep diligently.
5My prayers are that my ways should be established, to keep Your statutes.
6Then I shall not be ashamed when I look at all Your commandments.
7I shall thank You with an upright heart when I learn the judgments of Your righteousness.
8I shall keep Your statutes; do not forsake me utterly.
9In what manner should a youth purify his way? To observe according to Your word.
10With all my heart I searched for You; do not cause me to stray from Your commandments.


The last line is about keeping the commandments.

176I went astray like a lost lamb; seek Your servant, for I did not forget Your commandments.

Actually, the last 11 are about keeping the commandments which includes studying Torah as it teaches us about the commandments.


166I hoped for Your salvation, O Lord, and I performed Your commandments.
167My soul kept Your testimonies, and I love them exceedingly.
168I kept Your precepts and Your testimonies, for all my ways are before You.
169May my song of prayer draw near before You, O Lord; according to Your word, enable me to understand.
170May my supplication come before You; according to Your word, save me.
171My lips will utter praise when You teach me Your statutes.
172My tongue will proclaim Your word, for all Your commandments are righteous.
173May Your hand be [ready] to help me, for I have chosen Your precepts.
174I yearned for Your salvation, O Lord, and Your Torah is my occupation.
175May my soul live and praise You, and may Your judgments help me.
176I went astray like a lost lamb; seek Your servant, for I did not forget Your commandments.



1Praiseworthy are those whose way is perfect, who walk with the law of the Lord.
2Praiseworthy are those who keep His testimonies; who seek Him wholeheartedly.
3Not only have they committed no injustice, they walked in His ways.
4You commanded Your precepts, to keep diligently.
5My prayers are that my ways should be established, to keep Your statutes.
6Then I shall not be ashamed when I look at all Your commandments.
7I shall thank You with an upright heart when I learn the judgments of Your righteousness.
8I shall keep Your statutes; do not forsake me utterly.
9In what manner should a youth purify his way? To observe according to Your word.
10With all my heart I searched for You; do not cause me to stray from Your commandments.
11In my heart I hid Your word, in order that I should not sin against You.
12Blessed are You, O Lord; teach me Your statutes.
13With my lips I recited all the judgments of Your mouth.
14With the way of Your testimonies I rejoiced as over all riches.
15Concerning Your precepts I shall converse, and I shall look at Your ways.
16With Your statutes I shall occupy myself; I shall not forget Your speech.
17Bestow kindness upon Your servant; I shall live and I shall keep Your word.
18Uncover my eyes and I shall look at hidden things from Your Torah.
19I am a stranger in the land; do not hide Your commandments from me.
20My soul is crushed from longing for Your judgments at all times.
21You shall rebuke cursed willful sinners who stray from Your commandments.
22Remove from me disgrace and contempt, for I kept Your testimonies.
23Although princes sat and talked about me, Your servant conversed about Your statutes.
24Also, Your testimonies are my affairs, men of my counsel.
25My soul clung to the dust; revive me according to Your word.
26I told of my ways, and You answered me; teach me Your statutes.
27Make me understand Your precepts, and I shall speak of Your wonders.
28My soul drips from grief; sustain me according to Your word.
29Remove from me the way of falsehood, and favor me with Your Torah.
30I chose the way of faith; Your judgments I have set [before me].
31I clung to Your testimonies; O Lord; put me not to shame.
32[In] the way of Your commandments I shall run, for You will broaden my understanding.
33Instruct me, O Lord, [in] the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it at every step.
34Enable me to understand and I shall keep Your Torah, and I shall keep it wholeheartedly.
35Lead me in the path of Your commandments for I desired it.
36Extend my heart to Your testimonies and not to monetary gain.
37Turn away my eyes from seeing vanity; with Your ways sustain me.
38Fulfill for Your servant Your word that is for Your fear.
39Remove my disgrace, which I feared, for Your judgments are good.
40Behold, I longed for Your precepts; with Your righteousness sustain me.
41And may Your acts of kindness befall me, O Lord, Your salvation according to Your word.
42And I shall answer a word to those who disgrace me, for I trusted in Your word.
43And do not take out utterly from my mouth a word of truth, because I hoped for Your words.
44And I shall keep Your Torah constantly, forever and ever.
45And I shall walk in widely accepted ways, for I sought Your precepts.
46And I shall speak of Your testimonies in the presence of kings, and I shall not be ashamed.
47And I shall engage in Your commandments, which I love.
48And I shall lift up my palms to Your commandments, which I love, and I shall converse about Your statutes.
49Remember a word to Your servant, through which You gave me hope.
50This is my consolation in my affliction, for Your word has sustained me.
51Willful sinners derided me greatly; I did not turn away from Your Torah.
52I remembered Your judgments of old, O Lord, and I was consoled.
53Quaking gripped me because of the wicked men who abandoned Your Torah.
54Your statutes were to me as songs in the house of my sojournings.
55At night I remembered Your name, O Lord, and I kept Your Torah.
56This came to me because I kept Your precepts.
57"The Lord is my portion," I said, to keep Your words.
58I entreated You with all my heart; favor me according to Your word.
59I considered my ways, and I returned my feet to Your testimonies.
60I hastened and did not delay to keep Your commandments.
61Bands of wicked men robbed me; I did not forget Your Torah.
62At midnight, I rise to give thanks to You for Your just judgments.
63I am a companion to all who fear You and to those who keep your precepts.
64O Lord, the earth is full of Your kindness; teach me Your statutes.
65You have done good with Your servant, O Lord, according to Your word.
66The best of reason and knowledge, teach me for I believe in Your commandments.
67Before I recited, I erred, but now I keep Your word.
68You are good and You do good; teach me Your statutes.
69Willful sinners have heaped false accusations upon me, but I keep your precepts wholeheartedly.
70Thick like fat is their heart, but I engage in Your Torah.
71It is good for me that I was afflicted, in order that I learn Your statutes.
72The instruction of Your mouth is better for me than thousands of gold and silver.
73Your hands made me and fashioned me; enable me to understand, and I shall learn Your commandments.
74Those who fear You will see me and rejoice for I hoped for Your word.
75I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are just, and in faith You afflicted me.
76May Your kindness be [upon me] now to comfort me, as Your word to Your servant.
77May Your mercy come upon me so that I shall live, for Your Torah is my occupation.
78May the willful sinners be shamed for they condemned me falsely; I shall converse about Your precepts.
79May those who fear You and those who know Your testimonies return to me.
80May my heart be perfect in Your statutes in order that I not be shamed.
81My soul pines for Your salvation; for Your word I hope.
82My eyes pine for Your word, saying, "When will You console me?"
83For I have become like a wineskin in smoke; I have not forgotten Your statutes.
84How many are Your servant's days? When will You execute judgments upon my pursuers?
85Willful sinners have dug pits for me, which is not according to Your Torah.
86All Your commandments are faithful; they pursued me in vain; help me.
87They almost destroyed me on earth, but I did not forsake Your precepts.
88According to Your kindness, sustain me, and I shall keep the testimony of Your mouth.
89Forever, O Lord, Your word stands in the heavens.
90Your faith is to every generation; You established the earth and it endures.
91For Your judgments they stand today, for all are Your servants.
92Were not Your Torah my occupation, then I would have perished in my affliction.
93I shall never forget Your precepts for through them You have sustained me.
94I am Yours; save me for I sought Your precepts.
95Concerning me: the wicked hoped to destroy me; I shall ponder Your testimonies.
96Of every finite thing I have seen the end; Your commandments are very broad.
97How I love Your Torah! All day it is my conversation.
98Each of Your commandments makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is always mine.
99From all my teachers I gained understanding, for Your testimonies are my conversation.
100From the wise elders I gain understanding, for I kept Your precepts.
101From every evil way I restrained my feet in order that I keep Your word.
102From Your judgments I did not turn away, for You guided me.
103How sweet are Your words to my palate, more than honey to my mouth!
104From Your precepts I shall gain understanding; therefore, I hate all ways of falsehood.
105Your words are a lamp for my foot, and light for my path.
106I swore and I fulfilled, to keep the judgments of Your righteousness.
107I have been exceedingly humbled; O Lord, sustain me according to Your word.
108The freewill offerings of my mouth accept now, O Lord, and teach me Your judgments.
109My soul is constantly in my hand, and I have not forgotten Your Torah.
110The wicked laid a snare for me, but I did not stray from Your precepts.
111I inherited Your testimonies forever, for they are the joy of my heart.
112I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes forever on their paths.
113I hate those who harbor iniquitous thoughts, but Your Torah I love.
114You are my protection and my shield; I hoped for Your word.
115Go away from me, you evildoers, and I shall keep the commandments of my God.
116Support me as Your word, and I shall live, and do not put me to shame because of my hope.
117Sustain me and I shall be saved, and I shall constantly engage in Your statutes.
118You trampled all who stray from Your statutes, for their deceit is false.
119As dross, You cut off all the wicked of the earth; therefore I love Your testimonies.
120My flesh bristles from fear of You, and I dread Your judgments.
121I performed justice and righteousness; do not leave me to my oppressors.
122Be surety for Your servant for good; let the willful sinners not oppress me.
123My eyes pined for Your salvation and for the word of Your righteousness.
124Deal with Your servant according to Your kindness, and teach me Your statutes.
125I am Your servant; enable me to understand, and I shall know Your testimonies.
126A time to do for the Lord; they have made void Your Torah.
127Because I loved Your commandments more than gold, even more than fine gold.
128Because I considered all precepts of all things upright; [and] every false way I hated.
129Your testimonies are hidden; therefore, my soul kept them.
130The commencement of Your words enlightens; You make the simple understand.
131I opened my mouth and panted because I yearned for Your commandments.
132Turn to me and favor me as is Your custom with those who love Your name.
133Prepare my steps with Your word, and do not allow any iniquity to rule over me.
134Redeem me from the oppression of man, and I shall keep Your precepts.
135Cause Your countenance to shine upon Your servant and teach me Your statutes.
136Rivulets of water ran down from my eyes because they did not keep Your Torah.
137You are righteous, O Lord, and Your judgments are upright.
138You commanded Your testimonies, [which are] righteousness, and they are exceedingly faithful.
139My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
140Your word is very pure, and Your servant loves it.
141I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.
142Your righteousness is perpetual righteousness, and Your Torah is true.
143Distress and anguish have overtaken me; Your commandments are my occupation.
144The righteousness of Your testimonies is eternal; enable me to understand and I shall live.
145I called with all my heart; answer me, O Lord; I shall keep Your statutes.
146I called to You; save me and I shall keep Your testimonies.
147I arose early, when it was still night, and I cried out; I hoped for Your word.
148My eyes preceded the watches to speak of Your word.
149Hearken to my voice according to Your kindness; O Lord, according to Your custom sustain me.
150Pursuers of lewdness have drawn near; from Your Torah they have distanced themselves.
151You are near, O Lord, and all Your commandments are true.
152From before, I knew from Your testimonies, for You established them to [the end of] the world.
153See my affliction and release me, for I have not forgotten Your Torah.
154Plead my cause and redeem me; for Your word sustains me.
155Salvation is far from the wicked, for they did not seek Your statutes.
156Your mercies, O Lord, are abundant; according to Your custom, sustain me.
157Many are my pursuers and my adversaries; from Your testimonies I did not turn away.
158I saw traitors and I quarreled [with them] because they did not keep your word.
159See that I love Your precepts, O Lord; according to Your kindness, sustain me.
160The beginning of Your word is true, and each of Your righteous judgments is eternal.
161Princes pursued me for nothing, but my heart feared Your word.
162I rejoice over Your word as one who finds great spoil.
163I hate falsehood, and I abominate [it], I love Your Torah.
164Seven times a day I praise You for Your righteous judgments.
165There is abundant peace to those who love Your Torah, and they have no obstacle.
166I hoped for Your salvation, O Lord, and I performed Your commandments.
167My soul kept Your testimonies, and I love them exceedingly.
168I kept Your precepts and Your testimonies, for all my ways are before You.
169May my song of prayer draw near before You, O Lord; according to Your word, enable me to understand.
170May my supplication come before You; according to Your word, save me.
171My lips will utter praise when You teach me Your statutes.
172My tongue will proclaim Your word, for all Your commandments are righteous.
173May Your hand be [ready] to help me, for I have chosen Your precepts.
174I yearned for Your salvation, O Lord, and Your Torah is my occupation.
175May my soul live and praise You, and may Your judgments help me.
176I went astray like a lost lamb; seek Your servant, for I did not forget Your commandments.





No comments: