Thursday, August 31, 2023

Jews without mitzvos

I came across these randomly today. They are lashon hara but about not frum people. I post them because it shows what happens to Jews who don't have mitzvos. Warning there's a curse word in here somewhere. 

Who are the biggest jerks in music?

I’m a seamstress at heart and began sewing at the age of 9. When I first moved to LA I met a designer that needed a seamstress. Her customers were all famous musicians. They are no different than the rest of the worlds population. Some are as nice and down to earth as can be, and others are pure jerks. One of the worst I ever had to work with was Neil Diamond. Such a shame I could not enjoy his music after knowing what kind of a person he really was. Two of the nicest were Emmy Lou Harris and Dolly Parton. Most wild and crazy was Willie Nelson, but in a good way, He had the most unique sense of humor. Most daunting was Johnny Cash. Like NYC, he lived up to everything you think he would be. When he walked in a room, he encompassed it without even trying. All of the Cash family were wonderful people. I have never been very star struck, so I stayed pretty grounded. I discovered you never work harder than when you work for yourself. We quickly turned the business into a partnership, since she was totally an artist and had no business head at all. It was late night fittings and traveling on the road. It was too much to manage once I married and wanted to start a family. But definitely a very interesting time in my life.

Diamond was born in Brooklyn, New York City, to a Jewish family.

Parton has described her family as being "dirt poor".[10] Parton's father paid missionary Dr. Robert F. Thomas with a sack of cornmeal for delivering her.[11] Parton would write a song about Dr. Thomas when she was grown.[12] She also outlined her family's poverty in her early songs "Coat of Many Colors" and "In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad)". For six or seven years, Parton and her family lived in their rustic, one-bedroom cabin on their small subsistence farm on Locust Ridge.[13] This was a predominantly Pentecostal area located north of the Greenbrier Valley of the Great Smoky Mountains. Music played an important role in her early life. She was brought up in the Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee),[14] in a congregation her grandfather, Jake Robert Owens, pastored. Her earliest public performances were in the church, beginning at age six. At seven, she started playing a homemade guitar. When she was eight, her uncle bought her first real guitar.

Cash, Nelson, and Harris are also all gentile Southerners. 

 

Can you think of any movies where you can tell that the director doesn't care about his actors, or just shows no love for them at all?

Stanley Kubrick (July 26, 1928 - March 7, 1999).


A Clockwork Orange (1971): Malcolm McDowell was assured by Kubrick and a doctor on standby that the scene was perfectly safe, with the doctor standing next to him being a real physician administering eye drops in the actor’s eye every 15 seconds. Unfortunately, the actor’s cornea did get scratched and McDowell went temporarily blind because he had his eyes propped open for such a long time. Alex’s screams to “stop!” in this sequence are genuine shouts of discomfort.

The Shining (1980): Shelley Duvall was forced to perform the iconic baseball bat scene 127 times to give the character a more exhausted look. Afterwards, Duvall presented the director Kubrick with clumps of hair that had fallen out due to the extreme stress of filming.

Malcolm McDowell said, “Kubrick was a control freak, without a doubt, on everything. He showed me a picture of this and I went, ‘Oh yeah? Wow’. He goes, ‘What do you think?’ ‘What do you mean what do I think? It’s an eye operation going on.’ He said: ‘I’d like you to do that.’ I went: ‘What? There’s no way! No, no, no.’ But he already had a doctor from Moorfields (Eye Hospital, in London) coming over to talk to me about it, but most eye operations are done with the patient lying on their backs, not sitting up watching videos.”

Talking about an actual injury he sustained on set, McDowell said, “And of course this doctor comes over and he’s the guy in the movie. ‘You’ll have no problem, your eyes will be anesthetized,’ he said. ‘You won’t feel a thing.’ Well, famous last words. That wasn’t exactly accurate. So they scratch my corneas and then a week later, Kubrick says, ‘I’ve seen all the stuff, and it’s great, but I need a real close-up of the eye.’ And I went: ‘Well, why don’t you do it on the stunt double? That’s what he gets paid for.’ ‘Malcolm, your eyes are… I can’t do that.’ So I had to go back in and do it again! And of course, they scratch my corneas again, nothing like originally, but I knew it was coming. That was torture because I knew what to expect… but, you know, it was worth it.”

McDowell also talked about the bitterness he felt toward the movie, and its huge popularity, after making it. “For the first 10 years after I made it, I resented it,” McDowell said. “I was sick of it. I didn’t want to talk about the fucking thing, I was over it. I said: ‘Look, I’m an actor, I got to play a great part, I’m moving on.’ Then I came to the realization that it was a masterwork, and I was very, very much part of it. You may as well just accept it and enjoy it.”

‘’There were other things, which I really don’t want to rehash, but you know, I had my issues with him. I thought that he had betrayed me in such a way. He was supposed to pass on 2.5 percent of the movie, which he never did. When I was told this by the head people at Warner Bros. when it was a huge hit, and they said, ‘Well, you’re going to be a very rich young man.’ I said, ‘Really? Why’s that?’ They went, ‘Well, with the 2.5 percent we passed on to Stanley for you.’ And I went, ‘Well, I never got it.’ And they looked at each other and they laughed and they went, ‘Ohhh, that’s just like Stanley.’ And I’m thinking, ‘My God, you only do one of these movies in a lifetime. Why would he do that to a young actor? Why would he do that? It’s so ungenerous and so mean, when he’s had every f–king fiber of my being.’ So that sort of really hurt so much that I couldn’t talk to him again.’’

Kubrick was born on July 26, 1928, in the Lying-In Hospital in Manhattan, New York City, to a Jewish family.

A gentile can get by with basic faith. 

Was Harry Truman a very honest president?

He may have been the most honest. He flatly refused to use his office for gain. When he left office he was broke. Once Truman left the White House, his only income was his old army pension: $112.56 per month (equivalent to $1,089 in 2020). Congress felt so bad they passed a Presidential pension act in 1958 to provide him support. The only other living former President was Hoover who did not need the pension but took it so as not to embarrass Truman.

He opened a haberdashery store that went bankrupt in 1921. Truman continued to pay the debts until 1935 when they were all paid off.

Some may point out that he can from the Pendergast machine which was true. But I have seen no evidence of illicit dealings by Truman while in office or to obtain an office.

Truman found a lucrative book deal for his memoirs. The writing was a struggle for Truman and he went through a dozen collaborators during the project, not all of whom served him well, but he remained heavily involved in the end result. For the book Truman received a one time payment of $670,000. The book was a commercial and critical success. They were published in two volumes: Memoirs by Harry S. Truman: Year of Decisions (1955) and Memoirs by Harry S. Truman: Years of Trial and Hope (1956).

Bess Truman's personal papers were made public in 2009. They show that Truman likely had a net worth of $7500 when selected as vice presidential candidate. By the end of his presidency, however, he estimated his own wealth at $650,000. In a December 1953 draft will he wrote, "Bonds, land, and cash all come from savings of presidential salary and free expense account. It should keep you and Margaret comfortably.” In other words, all of his net worth was from the amount he received for his book.


When Truman was six, his parents moved to Independence, Missouri, so he could attend the Presbyterian Church Sunday School.  

No comments: